School based traineeships
Through HTA, School-Based Traineeships provide an opportunity for full time secondary students enrolled in schools to begin preparing themselves for a career. it allows a student studying towards the WA Certificate of Education to also train in an industry and gain a nationally recognised vocational education and training qualification.
A School-Based Traineeship through HTA is offered to Year 11 and 12 students. By agreement with the school and the parents, students are released for 1-2 days per week depending on the year of schooling and undertake 624 hours of paid employment – at least 8 hours per week.
Students enter a training contract with HTA and work towards an industry qualification usually at Certificate II level.
School-Based Traineeships are available in many areas. HTA specialises in the areas of:
- Hospital support services
- Health support services
School-Based Traineeships are not available in all areas covered by Traineeships but those considered appropriate to a person still at school.
Benefits of a School-Based Traineeship through HTA
- Develop work skills and gains workplace experience
- Paid employment
- Opportunity to graduate and achieve a Western Australian Certificate of Secondary Education
- Obtain a nationally recognised Certificate II qualification
- Different pathway to continue studies once a student leaves school
- HTA is the employer and locates employment positions where the trainee can work with a host employer
- HTA mentors and supports the trainee over the term of the School-Based Traineeship including organising and oversighting training