Step 1: Eligibility
Applicants for a traineeship with Health Training Australia (Inc.) must meet the following eligibility and selection criteria:
• Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Be able to commit to a minimum of 15 hours per week (though there may be additional shifts rostered on a weekly basis)
• Be available for rosters which may occur between from 7.00 am to 10 pm, over 7 days a week
• Hold a valid WA drivers’ license and reliable vehicle
• Be able to obtain a clear National Police Clearance
• Must have English proficiency. All candidates must pass a Literacy Test at interview.
Applicants who hold a Certificate III or higher within the Health or Community Services Sector are ineligible for a traineeship
Step 2: Selection Interview
Eligible applicants will be contacted by Health Training Australia (Inc.) to undertake an initial telephone interview. If that interview is successful they will then progress to a face-to-face selection interview. Both interviews are used to determine their suitability for a career in the care industry.
Candidates who successfully pass the interview stage will be invited to attend HTA's free 3-day Preparation for Employment course, which has been designed to introduce participants to the aged care, home care and disability environment and to different techniques in client care and handling. This course is a prerequisite to the traineeship (please note, it is not a stand-alone course).
The Preparation for Employment course is designed for participants to familiarise themselves with the roles and responsibilities of a care worker including:
• Working in a care environment
• Provision of personal care in a residential and home environment
• Services available in the care industry
• Showering, shaving and personal care
• Bed making, incontinence
• Occupational safety and health
• Legislative responsibilities
• Safe manual handling practices
• Recognise and address hazards in the workplace
• Use appropriate aids to support comfort, safety and wellbeing.
Step 3: Work Experience
Upon successful completion of the Preparation for Employment course, Health Training Australia (Inc.) will arrange for the applicant to meet with a potential host employer, where the applicant can complete 40 hours of unpaid work experience.
The offer of work experience will be determined by the Host Employer and available vacancies.
Applicants may select their 40 hour work experience placement in either aged care, disability or home and community care, with guidance from Health Training Australia based on applicant suitability and available vacancies.
Health Training Australia (Inc.) will endeavour to source a Host Employer close to the applicant’s home address.
During the 40 hours of unpaid work experience, candidates have the opportunity to work within an organisation and decide whether the care industry is the role for them. It is also a valuable time for Host Employer to assess whether the candidate is suitable for their organisation and will determine whether a traineeship will be offered.
Host Employers may also require applicants to complete additional paperwork (i.e. such as a Working with Children Check) or undertake a medical and health assessment prior to commencement.
Step 4: Commence the Traineeship
Applicants offered a traineeship will sign an employment contract with Health Training Australia (Inc.).
Trainees can study a Nationally Recognised CHC 33015 Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing, Disability or Home & Community Care).
Trainees will be placed with a Host Employer for the duration of their training.
Depending on their rate of progress, trainees can expect to be completed in 7-8 months.
How To Apply
If you meet the eligibility criteria above and would like to be considered for a traineeship, click the Apply Now button below to submit an online application.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Previous applicants need not apply.
For more information or to speak with a HTA specialist consultant: Phone: (08) 9273 3033 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org